Ford Led with the Most Recalls in 2022
Ford issued the most recalls of any automotive manufacturer in 2022, both by the number of recalls and the total volume of cars potentially affected (via Autoblog).
The legacy automaker announced a total of 67 recalls over the course of the year. In total, a whopping 8,636,265 vehicles manufactured by Ford were potentially affected — that’s more than twice as many as any other company this year.
Many of Ford’s recalls this year focused on its electric vehicles (EVs). The company issued several recalls for the Mustang Mach-E, for issues ranging from windshields and panoramic roofs that need to be replaced to defective right-rear axle half shafts.
At one point in the year, Ford had to shut down Mustang Mach-E production altogether due to a safety issue that affected nearly 49,000 vehicles. Ford this year also saw the first recall of its F-150 Lightning electric truck, which the automaker started delivering back in May.
Tesla, meanwhile, ranked eighth by the total number of recalls issued in 2022. What’s more, many of Tesla’s recalls, including one in China that had to do with a semiconductor component that could cause accidents, were fixed with over-the-air updates and didn’t require vehicles to be sent in.
Check out a full list of the top ten automakers who issued the most recalls in 2022 below:
- Ford: 67 recalls (8,636,265 vehicles)
- Volkswagen Group: 45 recalls (1,040,885 vehicles)
- FCA/Stellantis: 38 recalls (3,041,431 vehicles)
- Mercedes-Benz: 33 recalls (969,993 vehicles)
- General Motors: 32 recalls (3,371,302 vehicles)
- Kia: 24 recalls (1,458,962 vehicles)
- Hyundai: 22 recalls (1,452,101 vehicles)
- Tesla: 20 recalls (3,769,581 vehicles)
- BMW: 19 recalls (1,000,455 vehicles)
- Nissan: 15 recalls (1,568,385 vehicles)
As for which automaker issued the least recalls this year, Bugatti, Maserati, Ferrari, Polestar, and Mazda are all tied for that spot with one recall each.