Tesla was set to respond to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA’s) probe by last Friday, either requesting an extension or completing the questions in the agency’s 11-page letter – and a new report shows that the company has now partially responded to the investigation.
The investigation is looking at Tesla’s Autopilot advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) and how it reacts to emergency responder vehicles parked with their lights on – following a series of accidents with parked emergency vehicles with their lights on.
The NHTSA said on Monday Tesla noted information “has been received and is being reviewed. The company has requested confidential business information (CBI) treatment for the entirety of the information request.”
This would essentially bar the public from viewing the automaker’s responses to the NHTSA, says The Verge.
New NHTSA Advisor Has History of Bias Against Tesla, Says Elon Musk https://t.co/omiI0OslXj
— TeslaNorth.com (@RealTeslaNorth) October 20, 2021
Last week, famed auto critic Sandy Munro released a video dissing the NHTSA over its probe of Tesla, calling it unfair.
The NHTSA also sent Tesla a different letter about the company’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta, which the NHTSA called “Autosteer on City Streets,” regarding its beta testers’ lack of reporting concerns about safety issues.
Over the weekend, Tesla reverted its FSD beta 10.3 update back to 10.2 without the FSD beta, after users reported failed safety notifications like forward-collision warnings and more.
Tesla has until November 1 to respond to the agency’s most recent set of requests, detailing more information about its FSD program in particular.
Contributing Writer at TeslaNorth.com from California’s southeast Bay Area. Covers electric vehicles, space exploration, and all things tech. Loves a good cup of coffee, live music and puppies. Buying a Tesla? Click here to get 1,000 free Supercharging miles.