Polestar 2 Gets Design Update, New Features and More
Swedish electric vehicle (EV) maker Polestar on Wednesday announced several new features and design updates for the Polestar 2, along with advancements in sustainable sourcing of raw materials for the sedan.
“We have revisited materials and processes that go into making Polestar 2, introducing updates that reduce the climate impact and increase material traceability of this award-winning car,” said Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath.
“These are important additions to how we can improve cars over their lifetime – not just with functionality and design updates but addressing sustainability and carbon footprint as well.”
Perhaps the highlight of these changes is improved cell chemistry for the battery in the entry-level Polestar 2 Standard Range single-motor, which gives the base model a higher capacity of 69 kWh, faster DC charging at up to 130 kW, and increased motor output at 170 kW.
Polestar was also able to cut down CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent) emissions from the manufacturing of the Polestar 2 by a whopping 1,350 kg per car, thanks to the company’s decision to source aluminum for the battery tray and wheels exclusively from smelters that use renewable energy.
“In our programme updates we want to take action on improvements that can make a positive sustainability impact quickly, rather than traditional mid-cycle facelifts,” said Fredrika Klarén, Polestar’s Head of Sustainability.
“Product optimisation programmes are common in the car industry, but we are taking an extended approach at Polestar, combining these with CO2e reduction programmes as well.”
The full list of design and feature updates for the Polestar 2 includes:
- New exterior colours: Space (replaces Void) and Jupiter (replaces Moon)
- Magnesium is now the default standard colour with no cost
- New designs for the standard 19-inch and optional 20-inch wheels
- New Zinc colour for ventilated Nappa leather upholstery (replaces Barley), available with new Light Ash deco (replaces Reconstructed Wood)
- Removable sunshade for the panoramic glass roof (also available in Polestar Extras web shop from mid-June 2022 for all Polestar 2 with glass roof)
- The performance software upgrade with maximum output of 350 kW and 680 Nm is now included in the Performance Pack in Europe
- The heat pump (included in Plus Pack) has an improved optimal temperature range, now between -7°C and 25°C
- Advanced cabin filter and upgraded interior particulate matter sensor with new in-car app that quantifies exterior air quality improvement in the cabin (Plus Pack)
The long-range, single-motor variant of the Polestar 2 launched in the U.S. just last month. Back in January, Mr. Ingenlath said Polestar expects its EV sales to grow tenfold by 2025.
Polestar debuted in several new markets across the globe last year, and the EV maker revealed plans to further expand its showroom network in December 2021 as it teased its upcoming Polestar 3 all-electric crossover.