A recent house fire in Dallas, Texas, was prematurely concluded to be caused by a Tesla Model Y, as reported in a viral video by @DallasTexasTV.
But now, the truth has surfaced, as the USB drive was recovered from the Tesla Model Y’s glove box. The Tesla vehicle footage shows up-close views of the house fire, according to a video shared by @GreenTheOnly on Thursday.
The Model Y was later destroyed, though the fire started in the household and the vehicle’s battery pack was preserved in nearly pristine condition.
The video, which was taken at multiple angles by some of Tesla’s exterior cameras, some of which were also shared in the thread, depicts smoke billowing from the nearby household, though the Tesla itself was seemingly not on fire at the time of recording.
USB drive was recovered from this car showing the fire started in the house before jumping to Tesla just as was mostly evident from the outside video https://t.co/o3V8GzAa51 pic.twitter.com/tJ5vUtfWwa
— green (@greentheonly) August 25, 2021
In the video, a person can also be seen gathering objects from the backyard, presumably to evacuate the premises shortly after.
Green also shared pictures of the high-voltage battery pack itself, which was shown to be mostly intact despite the damage.
Looking at the image of the salvaged Tesla battery pack, it’s a testament to the company’s engineering as it remained intact during the house fire, which it did not cause.
While Tesla owners have reported an increase in break-ins with the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, and Tesla’s Sentry Mode cameras have often helped to catch or deter thieves and vandals, this is the first account we’ve come across of the vehicle’s cameras catching footage of a house fire.
Contributing Writer at TeslaNorth.com from California’s southeast Bay Area. Covers electric vehicles, space exploration, and all things tech. Loves a good cup of coffee, live music and puppies. Buying a Tesla? Click here to get 1,000 free Supercharging miles.