Tuesday morning, the all-electric 2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV earned the title of best electric car from this year’s Best Hybrid, Plug-in, and Electric Cars of 2021 list from U.S. News (via Mashable), effectively knocking the Tesla Model 3 out from the list’s best car spot.
While the Model 3 remained unrepresented by the list, the Tesla Model Y landed the spot for the best luxury electric vehicle.
Other notable categories on the list included the best plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, best hybrid car, best hybrid SUV, best luxury hybrid, and best luxury plug-in hybrid. These spots were claimed by the Hyundai IONIQ PHEV, the Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid, the Ford Escape Hybrid, the Lexus ES Hybrid, and the Audi A7 PHEV, respectively.
Tesla Model 3 is the Best Compact Luxury Sedan to Buy in 2021, Says Motortrend https://t.co/vyDbDKMkAU
— TeslaNorth.com (@RealTeslaNorth) April 16, 2021
The overall rankings took into account each car’s price, charging time, and range to make up the list. With the Chevy Bolt base model featuring a starting price of $36,500 (USD), a range of 259 miles, and over 9 hours charging time with a Level 2 charging plug, it’s a close winner, to be sure. But the Bolt lacks the technology, driving dynamics and cool factor of a Tesla Model 3.
Best Hybrid, Plug-in, and Electric Cars of 2021:
- 2021 Chevrolet Bolt | Best Electric Vehicle
- 2021 Tesla Model Y | Best Luxury Electric Vehicle
- 2021 Hyundai Ioniq | Best Hybrid Car
- 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid | Best Hybrid SUV
- 2021 Lexus ES Hybrid | Best Luxury Hybrid
- 2021 Audi A7 Plug-In Hybrid | Best Luxury Plug-In Hybrid
- 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid | Best Plug-In Hybrid