2022 GMC Hummer EV: Release Date, Pricing, Specs and More [VIDEO]
GMC this evening unveiled its 2022 Hummer electric vehicle (EV), a supertruck set to launch in the fall of 2022 in the USA and Canada. The Hummer EV looks to take on Tesla’s Cybertruck.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors, in a press release. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, HUMMER EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance.”
The GMC Hummer EV will have 1,000 horsepower and an estimated 11,500 lb.-ft of torque, says GMC, from three separate motors and two Ultium drive units for electric all-wheel drive.
“We had one goal for HUMMER EV: Build the most capable factory truck – ever,” said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer, in a statement. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability unlike anything GM has ever offered before.”
Here are some highlights of the GMC Hummer EV, with features depending on various trims:
- Segment-Exclusive 4 Wheel Steer featuring CrabWalk — a segment-exclusive feature that allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, allowing diagonal movement of the vehicle, for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension with available segment-leading, Extract Mode capability enables the suspension height to be raised approximately six inches (149 mm) to help the HUMMER EV negotiate extreme off-road situations such as clearing boulders.
- 35-inch-OD tires11 offered standard; and the capability to accommodate 37-inch tires. They offer exceptional strength and flexibility to optimize maneuverability with the HUMMER EV’s unprecedented off-road capability, including scaling 18-inch verticals.
- Underbody armour, consisting of sturdy steel plates that are strategically located around the battery pack and more to help provide protection in extreme off-roading conditions.
- UltraVision that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. HUMMER EV offers a best-in-class number of camera views, with up to 18 available views to help increase awareness of surroundings.
- Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens. Examples include torque output, differential locker engagement, tire pressure, pitch and roll angles (including maximum values), a drift gauge (with maximum values), friction circle, torque vectoring and more.
GMC says the Hummer EV Edition 1 will have:
- Three-motor e4WD drive system that will offer the equivalent of GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque
- 800-volt DC public fast charging compatibility of up to 350 kW. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes HUMMER EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW public DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 160 km of range in 10 minutes of charging.
- 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system that will offer excellent range and power to three motors.
- GM-estimated 560+ km of driving range on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
- The latest version of Super Cruise, a driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving with automatic lane changing on divided and compatible roads.
Other GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 Highlights:
- Watts to Freedom — a driver-selectable immersive experience that unleashes the full acceleration capability of the EV propulsion system, including a GM-estimated up to 0-60-mph (0-97km/h) performance in approximately 3 seconds.
- Drive Mode Control offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance — including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings — for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the HUMMER EV’s ride height by nearly two inches.
- Adaptive Ride Control continuous damping that is tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
- Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
- Premium, technical interior materials
- 13.4-inch-diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch-diagonal driver information center display convey a wealth of vehicle performance and driver awareness information.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions.
- Power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
GMC Hummer EV Availability
- USA: American production begins in late 2021, at GM’s Factory Zero in Detroit-Hamtramck.
- Canada: Canadian production begins in the fall of 2022 and will be sold through the GMC Canada Dealer network. Click here to sign up for email updates.
GMC Hummer Pricing and Reservation Info
Here’s how to reserve your GMC Hummer in the USA:
- Log on to the GMC Hummer EV microsite.
- Choose your Hummer EV trim.
- Choose your participating GMC dealer
- Enter your information which includes your credit card information.
- Reserve and confirm. The $100 USD reservation goes directly to your dealership, along with a copy of the reservation agreement.
- Starting at: $79,995 USD
- Available: SPRING 2024
- 2 MOTORS / ESTIMATED 250+ MILE RANGE
- 625 HP / 7,400 LB-FT OF TORQUE
- Super Cruise Driver Assistance Capability
- HD Surround Vision
- Digital Key
- 22″ Wheels With 35″ OD Tires
- Infinity Roof
- Rear Drop Glass
- MultiPro Tailgate
- Adrenaline Mode
- 400-Volt DC Fast Charge Capable†
Hummer EV2X (Includes features from above plus the following)
- Starting at: $89,995 USD
- Available: SPRING 2023
- 2 MOTORS / ESTIMATED 300+ MILE RANGE
- 625 HP / 7,400 LB-FT OF TORQUE
- 4-Wheel Steer
- Adaptive Air Suspension
- Available Extract Mode
- Adaptive Ride Control
- 800-Volt DC Fast Charge Capable
Hummer EV3X (Includes features from above plus the following)
- Starting at: $99,995 USD
- Available: FALL 2022
- 3 MOTORS / ESTIMATED 300+ MILE RANGE
- 800 HP / 9,500 LB-FT OF TORQUE
- Torque Vectoring
- 22” Premium Wheels
Hummer EV Edition 1 (Includes features from above plus the following)
- Starting at: $112,595 USD (Reservations Full!)
- Available: FALL 2021
- 3 MOTORS / ESTIMATED 350+ MILE RANGE
- 1,000 HP / 11,500 LB-FT OF TORQUE
- 0-60 IN APPROXIMATELY 3 SECONDS
- Watts to Freedom
- Extreme Off-Road Package
- 800-Volt DC Fast Charge Capable, up to 350kW—Charging Nearly 100 Miles in 10 Minutes
- Infinity Roof With Modular Transparent Sky Panels
- Exclusive Interior Badge
- White Exterior
Comparison: Tesla Cybertruck vs GMC Hummer EV
Here’s Tesla’s Cybertruck pricing in comparison…the entry model is $40,000 USD cheaper than the entry GMC Hummer EV. It may be a tough proposition when choosing between the Hummer EV vs Tesla’s Cybertruck. The entry Hummer EV ($80K) is even more expensive than the top of the line Cybertruck ($70K).
Single Motor Cybertruck
- Range: 250+ miles EPA estimate
- Towing: 7,500+lbs
- 0-60 mph < 6.5 seconds
- Price: $39,900 USD
Dual Motor Cybertruck
- Range: 300+ miles EPA estimate
- Towing: 10,000+lbs
- 0-60 mph < 4.5 seconds
- Price: $49,900 USD
Tri Motor Cybertruck
- Range: 500+ miles EPA estimate
- Towing: 14,000+lbs
- 0-60 mph < 2.9 seconds
- Price: $69,900 USD
Again, it’ll be interesting to wait and see if GM can stick to its timeline for the Hummer EV, which will launch first in the United States in late 2021, then one year later in Canada.