Tesla Leads Global Energy Storage Shipments in 2023 So Far
In the fierce global race of energy storage systems, Tesla has emerged as a clear leader, securing its position as the top supplier for the first half of 2023. According to statistics from SMM, Tesla’s shipments have surpassed 7Gwh, claiming the number one spot in the world.
While the global energy storage system shipments for the first half of 2023 amounted to 72.4 Gwh, Chinese companies made a remarkable impression, with six of them ranking among the top 10 suppliers worldwide, reports SMM (via Tesla-Mag).
China’s total shipments came in at a dominant 47Gwh, making up 65% of the global figure. In contrast, overseas shipments, including Tesla’s, totaled 25.4Gwh, covering the remaining 35%. Despite the widespread global contributions, Chinese integrators still primarily drove the energy storage system shipments.
The front runners in the industry for the first half of the year included not only Tesla but also prominent names like BYD and Sungrow, each registering shipments exceeding 7Gwh. These companies have capitalized on their robust sales channels, such as automobile sales outlets, to solidify their positions.
• Tesla Is World’s Largest Energy Storage System Supplier in H1 ’23
– The global supply of energy storage systems in the first half of 2023 reached 72.4 GWh.
• Tesla : 7.5GWh (10%)
• Chinese suppliers : 47GWh (65%)
• Other suppliers : 17.9Gwh (25%)
– Tesla… pic.twitter.com/2luFDu2Rdt
— Tsla Chan (@Tslachan) August 22, 2023
While Tesla stood out in global numbers, in the domestic Chinese market, BYD and Sungrow’s shipments were neck and neck, each nearing the 7Gwh mark and jointly accounting for a significant 30% of domestic shipments.
The remaining suppliers in the top 10, namely HyperStrong, Nextera, Huawei, Fluence, Powin, KEHUA TECH, and Narada, witnessed shipments ranging between 2.5-4Gwh. These figures included both domestic and overseas sales, emphasizing the role of system integration.
When focusing on overseas energy storage system shipments, which tallied about 25Gwh, Tesla’s contribution was paramount. Its 7Gwh shipments made up an impressive 20% of the total overseas numbers. Following Tesla, the combined shipments of Nextera, Fluence, and Powin approximated 3Gwh, while other overseas firms averaged around 1Gwh for the first half of 2023.
As the energy storage industry continues to evolve, Tesla’s dominant performance solidifies its pivotal role in shaping the future of global energy storage solutions.